Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Cookie Grandma

She was known to her grandchildren as the Cookie Grandma. Her grandchildren loved her and she them. When the grandchildren would visit her, she would whip out the mixing bowls, various ingredients and encourage their little hands to cream, mix and stir until the dough was formed. Then she would help them drop the cookies onto a baking pan and pop them into the oven. (Today, Scott and Nancy Lisa are the best cookies makers). Childhood memories are made of this, and the cookies treats were an added bonus.

She enjoyed telling stories about her grandchildren and even her great-grandchildren. (that last term got her a good laugh), and she enjoyed telling stories about her adventures traveling with Tom (grandpa Guenther) and me (grandma Guenther). Sometimes, I even wondered if I had been there (like the time we were at Yellow Stone Park, but that is for another time). She loved to tell about taking her granddaughter-in-law, Geralyn, and little five year old Allison to lunch one day. When they were finished eating and the waitress (oops, I guess they are called servers today) laid the check on the table, Allison grabbed it as quick as a flash along with the $20 bill Grandma had put on top of the check and headed as fast as her little legs could carry her to the cash register. Grandma was so astounded, all she could do was sit there with her mouth hanging open. Pretty soon, little Allison returned. "And she had the correct change!" Grandma exclaimed.
Then there was great-granddaughter, Kari Hoffman. Again, a five year old. When her mother introduced her to her great-grandmother, she looked up into Grandma's face and asked, "what's so great about her?" And then there is my own son, Gregg, who at about five or six was drawing a picture of his Grandmother (who was visiting us at the time). When he finished he proudly showed it to her, then after scrutinizing his picture again proclaimed, "I forgot the wrinkles!" Out of the mouths of babes.

And who was this amazing women, my role model, the woman who taught me how to be a good grandmother and to have a sense of humor, especially when it comes to children? My mother, Gladys Marie Riddiough Strahl. Mothers are very important in the lives of their children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. (If fathers feel left out, they will have to create their own blog!)

Now to the important stuff (that's a lol). Today was weigh in day. In the five weeks since I started the Nutrisytem plan, ten ... I repeat ... ten pounds are history. Both Grandpa and I like the food and the eating schedule. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies ... no added salt, no added butter. But ... lots of chocolate ... yes, I said chocolate ... my passion, but it is all balanced and adds up to less than 1300 calories per day, but never hungary. We are having swedish meatballs and pasta for supper tonight. "I really enjoy being on this diet," says Grandpa.

Well, all for now ... more stories to come and I plan to post pictures also.

7 comments:

  1. aww, I love hearing stories about all these people in my family!

    way to go on those 10 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now David is picking up the cookie-making tradition with his own cookie business. He has made 4 sales so far of 2.5 pounds each of the best cookies ever made. He has a climbing theme going on with his cookie names, and he debuted with "Bomber Chocolate Chip Cookies," In climbing terms, a "bomber" is a really nice easy hand hold - and a great place to hang out and savor the view!

    Thanks Grandma Strahl! We learned from the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To echo what Jacki said, it's good to hear about family, given how remote Zoe and I seem to be nowadays. Even more so, with a family full of writers, it's good to you see you take to the "new media". In many ways, it reminds me of the papers that Grandma Strahl wrote, to preserve our family history; digital ink has the potential to outlast anything that pen and paper can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Err...if it's not patently obvious who this is by the "Zoe and I" comment, it's Grant. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, cookies and grandchildren seemed to be one of our Mother's favorite tricks. I guess it worked, fancy that.

    Cultivating and learning about our family history is also a worthy endeavor. It gives us all a sense of where we came from and ultimately who we are.

    Way to go Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was great-grandma Strahl as soon as I started reading! :-) I don't remember her much from my own visits, but I do know well how fondly Mom recollects all the little things from her childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And around Christmas, I recall making sandbakkels...the Norwegian cookies you make by pressing the dough into a cup-cake like tin. A little red or green granulated sugar sprinkled into the bottom, and you were good to go. Strangly though, they did not involve potatoes in any way.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete